Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee announcement open thread

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 9:50AM

Page 1 of 18 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
#343 - Posted 12/16/12 @5:25PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/HallOfFame.htm is definitely hilarious, but do we not need a new image? Now that Rush has finally been inducted, I think that their induction will eventually open the door for such artists as: Yes, King Crimson, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Supertramp, Electric Light Orchestra, Roxy Music and perhaps even the Cars and Duran Duran.

Of course, my fan ballot had included the following artists: Rush, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Procol Harum.
#342 - Posted 12/16/12 @12:23AM by onelittlevictory [contact]

Comment Deleted
#341 - Posted 12/15/12 @11:12AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Now that Rush has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, does this means that they will now be "A-list" celebrities? Even so, even though they are Canadian, they have left a lasting imprint on world music, especially music in the United States. As such, should their next major award be a lifetime Grammy award, or perhaps should we start a petition to recognize them by the Kennedy Center?

As far as I am concerned, my wish is to see their music live long after their lifetimes. It deserves to join the pantheon of great music. Thank you Geddy, Alex and Neil for a lifetime of great music!
#340 - Posted 12/15/12 @1:13AM by What-A-Rush

#217, I couldn't agree with you more. I've shared the same opinion as you FOR YEARS! Also, like Donna said, whether we agree with the Hall's inductees over the years or not, it must be a tremendous feeling to receive an honor of this calliber. Let's remember, the voting committee consists of journalists, music execs, and MUSICIANS! Make no mistake, ANY band or artist who says they don't care about critical acclaim and/or accolades from their peers and/or colleagues, THEY ARE LYING! In the case of Rush, the fact that their music HAS become more appreciated on a critical level more than ever before really makes the induction a true vindication for them and the fans! So I have to respectfully disagree with some of the sentiments of the fans who feel that this induction is "too little, too late". I'm just proud that all of them are still here to accept it! So in that sense, I feel for the fans of Donna Summer and Albert King. Anyway, great comments from all of you on this heated topic, BOTH pro and con
#339 - Posted 12/14/12 @8:59PM by Liverpool 78

Hey America

When are you going to stop misinterpreting the right to bear arms and get rid of your guns?

All those innocent little children.

Too too too many shootings.

A sad day for the world.

Liver.
#338 - Posted 12/14/12 @2:06PM by ANTTOM [contact]

KJ, my understanding is that COS was trashed by nearly every critic. The tour dates were starting to decrease dramatically and their record company was not at all pleased with them. The boys thought that their careers were finished, hence "down the tubes".

Off topic, thanks for your many insightful posts on these pages.
#337 - Posted 12/14/12 @10:41AM by kjbird [contact]

I was chatting with a fellow RIABer recently and the COS tour came up. I asked him what it was like and he said it was incredible, still remembers it like it was yesterday. That tour has been called the "down the tubes tour" - a question i have is, in who's eyes was that a failed tour? Are we talking attendee numbers only, management at the time, from the bands perspective, or did the fans think it sucked? For those that attended shows that year, is this the start of the "core" following, or did it really begin with 2112? I would love to hear from any RIABers that attended any of those shows and get perspective.
#336 - Posted 12/14/12 @9:09AM by jaeger [contact]

"Somehow their music is the hardest to play with real instruments but the easiest to play with fake ones!" I think this is the very definition of "making it look easy" Well put!
#335 - Posted 12/14/12 @12:12AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

@kjbird, thank you. That page was (In terms of the Internet) created a very long time ago. I was 35 years old when I had created it, now I am nearly 51.
#334 - Posted 12/13/12 @11:33PM by kjbird [contact]

Very well written piece! I like the use of the term "art rock" in describing and distinguishing Rush apart from their heavy metal "peers". Mozart effect indeed! I'm not familiar with Darrin Locke. What influence does he have?
#333 - Posted 12/13/12 @11:00PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I had written link this page many, many years ago. For many years, the Allmusic Guide, had given this recording 4 1/2 stars. However sometime later, Greg Prato had written a less than reasonable review of this recording. I am hoping that Rush's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame will change those previous views. When I saw Darren Locke's evaluation of Rush's output on YouTube, I was less than pleased, to say the least.
#332 - Posted 12/13/12 @10:55PM by kjbird [contact]

#331...ahhh...just took the nestea plunge with your refreshing post. What is your website? Would love to check it out. Totally agree on the love for Hemispheres!
#331 - Posted 12/13/12 @10:48PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Thank you Donna Halper for discovering Rush and supporting their inductions into the Hollywood Walk Of Fame and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Thank you Suzanne Krause for starting the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction petition. I remember being approached about Rush's induction sometime in 1998. At that time, my website was slightly less than 1 year old. I have been an aficionado of Rush's music for nearly 34 years. Even after 34 years, "Hemispheres" still remains one of their greatest recordings,
#330 - Posted 12/13/12 @10:20PM by CraigJ [contact]

There's a LOT of growing up needed in this thread, but I'm not sure that qualifies.
#329 - Posted 12/13/12 @10:02PM by 4syrinx [contact]

enough of calling folks haters....grow up.
#328 - Posted 12/13/12 @9:04PM by KeishaMcLee [contact]

Lance! Meeting you and all our friends has enriched my life beyond words. Sharing our love for the greatest band in the world brings me endless pleasure. I can see how that's not for everyone...and that's ok too. Rush fans don't come in any cookie cutter, one size fits all.

There is no reason for all the hate I've seen here...I really just don't understand it. Probably why I don't bother reading the comments much anymore.

Ed you have the best Rush site around...too bad some people just aren't happy if they aren't hattin'.

Peace, Love and Geddy!
#327 - Posted 12/13/12 @6:17PM by limelighter [contact]

i see that my post #42 was spot on, over 325 posts. thought so. i should be a bookie.
#326 - Posted 12/13/12 @5:13PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

"I don't play drums.... I AM drums."
#325 - Posted 12/13/12 @4:46PM by kjbird [contact]

#324 - not at all....any harm done you'd know about it. Rush on, michinman!
#324 - Posted 12/13/12 @4:45PM by michinman [contact]

Don't follow the Lance thing, but I presume it's about an earlier post. Anyway, no harm done, I hope.