Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 12:08PM

#23 - Posted 12/8/12 @1:21AM by michinman [contact]

God. I'm in middle school again.
#22 - Posted 12/7/12 @11:37PM by The_king_will_Neil [contact]

Um, huh??????

"Elite"????

WTF!

YOU were complaining about "recent status in the media/pop culture".

I basically said 'don't worry, it's a passing thing'.

That's "elite"? (BTW, I also mentioned that maybe some of those 'media/pop' followers would actually notice Rush and become fans. I guess they are expected to become elites too?)

I wish you well.
#21 - Posted 12/7/12 @11:00PM by michinman [contact]

"I see no harm on the 'pop-ness'." ... "...and the pop-tarts will find some other toaster to infest" Contradiction perhaps? Boy, you guys really think highly of yourself, don't you? This whole Rush club thing is pitiful. I'm with Liver. This should be a "community" welcoming casual interests and in fact encouraging them. Instead it's become a high school smoking area from what I can tell. Not everyone of course, but for an "elite" few.
#20 - Posted 12/7/12 @9:19PM by The_king_will_Neil [contact]

I see no harm on the 'pop-ness'. It's not that hard for us to ignore. It's not like Rush will change, or their music! Perhaps it will attract some of the one-time fans (like the "I used to like 2112/PW/MP" crowd) and they'll discover that Rush has made a few other things, and some of them ain't bad.

Otherwise, I predict that what's going to happen is the same thing that happened to the group sitting in front of me at the TM show in Atlanta (a box seat owned by a company sponsoring the Symphony; they were probably the employees who got 'lucky' to use those season tickets to that show) - literally as soon as MP ended, they got up and left, never to return! {Not that I'm complaining, they were the only thing between me and the stage, the walkway and orch. section were substantially lower.}

The fad will fade, the bubble will pop, and the pop-tarts will find some other toaster to infest (present company exempted, hopefully :-).
#19 - Posted 12/7/12 @7:24PM by smiley [contact]

Reaching for the Alien Shore :))), Rush Radio
#18 - Posted 12/7/12 @6:48PM by Tom [contact]

david grohl vs neil peart eh?
both epic drummers, but would have to go with neil:
as rock drummers, for me it is neil, bonham, and moon at the top for various reasons,
but david is top 10! respect to both!
#17 - Posted 12/7/12 @6:46PM by Tom [contact]

overexposure or not - Clockwork Angels is one of their best albums, period. Therefore a good album to have over-exposure with. I foresee some problem with inducting to hall of fame - which is cool by me really - as long as it is deep purple that go instead (not as resilient and creative as rush but a great band, but big impact over their first decade, with widely known songs).
#16 - Posted 12/7/12 @5:54PM by smiley [contact]

Had to say Thank God for RushRadio, especially Force 10. Now 2112.:)))
#15 - Posted 12/7/12 @5:53PM by LanceTheShred [contact]

Social media in the past 5 years and MP in it's entirety during the TMT were the two main components that jump started the boyz back in the limelight for the masses. I'm sure that many "fell off the band wagon in 1985 fans" and young fans that discovered Rush took CA for a test drive and didn't get it.

The ones that did get it are still as high as an AIRship!
#14 - Posted 12/7/12 @5:19PM by Liverpool 78

#10 - it's about the difference in the type of exposure. Back in 1981 Rush became the gig to go and see largely by word of mouth because of the excellent couple of albums they had put out. Kids were switching each other on and this largely while Rush were still being ignored or castigated by the press. The word of the critic counted for nothing.

This current over exposure is being driven by publishing houses looking to make a fast buck. Of course, the band will welcome this with open arms because it puts a few more dollars in their pension pot, and rightly so.

Liver.
#13 - Posted 12/7/12 @5:16PM by CraigJ [contact]

#10 - Well, yes to a certain degree, but that felt a lot different. Less commercial if you will. Probably just hindsight on my part really. IMO the band deserves all the positive exposure that the get, and I suspect that a lot of it is pent up over the years. It just seems like recently they are EVERYWHERE. That's not a necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. Personally I think there are a lot of fans that are now into their 40s and 50s who are now in a financial position to make this happen, and I include myself in that group. I know that when I was in my 20's I couldn't have dropped $650 on a pair of tickets, and I'll do it again this spring if they are somewhere I can get to.
#12 - Posted 12/7/12 @4:48PM by michinman [contact]

I didn't mean to say Rush was/is a fad. I doubt they'll ever be that. I was talking about their recent status in the media/pop culture. As long as they're able and willing, Rush will make a comfortable living doing what they do. Just saying for people, like me perhaps, and many others on the "bandwagon", we probably won't be around long and the rest of you can carry on. For now, I'm just enjoying checking in on the site, reliving my youth, listening to the new material and keeping up with what's going on. I guess I may never qualify for your elite group R.Roulette. I'll still enjoy keeping up with Rush, it just won't be a huge priority.
#11 - Posted 12/7/12 @4:23PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

I'm not bothered by Rush's recent popularity, for this reason: Over the many years a lot of bands become popular because they change their music to be more radio-friendly, "accessible", etc. etc. In other words, they change to gain more fans. Not so with Rush. They have always done what they wanted. People come to them, and not the other way around. I mean who in 2012 makes concept albums with 7 - 8 minutes songs?
#10 - Posted 12/7/12 @4:05PM by cpb [contact]

For those who were around in 1980-1982, are they really getting THAT much more exposure now? That's a serious question I don't know the answer to. MP did sell a crapload of copies. I'd think the only difference was that the critics still largely hated them back then, whereas now most music journalists are actually Rush fans.

I think one of the reasons so many of us bristle at the thought of Rush getting popular is the same reason so many of us like the theme of 2112: the "man vs. the masses". We grow up with this amazingly talented band and compare it to the crap many others listen to in grade school and it helps us feel ELEVATED - especially if we're social misfits anyway. Then all those other people come along and say "hey, you were right - Rush are AWESOME!" and we grumble to ourselves and think, "yeah, but I thought they were awesome FIRST."

Each member of Rush has way more money than they could usefully spend in ten lifetimes - and I hope they keep getting more. I personally LOVE the popularity, and don't mind almost-to-completely sold-out shows. They put in the Sweat Equity, and it's paying off. Besides, I love too many other bands that have fallen into obscurity for various reasons, and I know what happens to their back catalogues when their allure fizzles. Long live popular Rush!
#9 - Posted 12/7/12 @3:45PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Yeah, Michinman, Rush is just a fad. A 40 year old fad. Don't let the door hit you on your way out! :-)
#8 - Posted 12/7/12 @2:59PM by subdivincent [contact]

Shame on you 4 who thought they should drop Subdivisions. Hmmph.
#7 - Posted 12/7/12 @2:12PM by michinman [contact]

#4 - I doubt it's going to last. I think their recent popularity is just a fad and the folks who are just casual fans will eventually lose interest and things will get back to normal. To be honest, I lost almost all interest in music for close to 2 decades. Before that in the, 80's and early 90s, Rush was my band of choice, and I was also pleased with the short-lived grunge era as well, but it was the doc. in 2010 that renewed my interest in the band and (dare I say) I can't be sure if even my interest will continue. I will aways be a Rush fan, but my recent obsession will soon pass I'm sure. That's just me, but I think that bahavior is pretty indicative of most pop trends. You guys will have your site back soon, I'm sure.
#6 - Posted 12/7/12 @2:03PM by Rebel and a Runner [contact]

Surely there will be more than 20-24 North American dates next year.
#5 - Posted 12/7/12 @1:59PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

This is wonderful news! I enjoyed so much the show that I saw two weeke ago in Cali and would love to see them again next year. Will probably wait till the June - August leg depending on where they're playing. I wonder whether they will finally reward the long-suffering Atlantic Canadians?
#4 - Posted 12/7/12 @12:54PM by CraigJ [contact]

While I'm happy that the band is getting well deserved recognition, I can't help but wonder if this is a bit too much. Seems like over-exposure.